FOW Seeks Seasonal Field Assistants
Position: Seasonal Field Assistant
Friends of the Wissahickon (FOW) is seeking three (3) Seasonal Field Assistants to assist us with our goals of community engagement, providing safe and attractive infrastructure and fostering ecologically diverse and functional habitats within the Wissahickon Valley Park. To this end, the Seasonal Field Assistants will carry out various tasks within the park for 14 weeks beginning Friday, June 16th, 2015 and ending Monday September 18th. This temporary position requires candidates to perform physical tasks outdoors in a variety of weather and terrain conditions. Ideal candidates will have experience working in park settings and working in a professional manner with the public, have a demonstrated interest in the stewardship of public parks and be able to successfully work as part of a team. Bilingual (English/Spanish) speakers preferred.
Schedule and Pay Rate: June 16th – September 18th. The required work schedule is Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday, plus the Fourth of July and Labor Day holidays. The daily schedule is 8am -4:30pm. Pay rate for this position is $15.00/hr for 30 hours a week.
Reports to: Project Manager
Position Summary: Members of the seasonal field crew will be responsible for assisting FOW Field Staff. Duties include monitoring and cleaning popular destinations, trail maintenance, interacting with members of the public regarding park rules and FOW’s stewardship values, and other duties as assigned.
• Interacting with park users to communicate park rules and promote FOW’s core stewardship values
• Trash collection within Wissahickon Valley Park, primarily focused around the Valley Green Inn and Devil’s Pool areas
• Graffiti removal
• Monitoring land and structures for unwanted use and vandalism
• Performing remediation tasks to restore damaged structures or park land
• Closure of undesignated social trails
• Habitat restoration through invasive plant removal and native plantings
• Other trail work/duties as assigned
• Work cooperatively with FOW staff and other associated partners
• Demonstrated understanding and support of park stewardship principals
• Highly motivated, responsible, reliable and dependable
• Capable of performing a wide variety of physically demanding tasks
• Familiarity and experience using hand tools
• Have a customer-service attitude and be comfortable working with the general public
• Flexibility when dealing with changes in work plans
• Dedicated to a professional work ethic and mannerisms
• Bilingual (English/Spanish)
• Valid driver’s license, reliable transportation and a good driving record
• High School Diploma or GED required
Physical Requirements / Working Conditions: Seasonal Field Assistants will be required to physically perform, as needed, any and all tasks assigned to them. Must be able to lift and carry 30-40 pounds, be comfortable working in all kinds of weather and walking over uneven terrain.