Do you love Wissahickon Valley Park? Would you like to play a direct role in keeping this special place clean and accessible for generations to come? Then come out and get involved in one of our many Volunteer Service Days! Our service days are fun, educational and provide a much needed service to the park, as well as introducing you to a lot of wonderful, like-minded park stewards. We provide the tools, gloves, and instruction – all you need to do is show up! Check out our upcoming service days below. For additional information, contact Shawn Green, Volunteer Manager at email@example.com.
Recurring Volunteer Service Days
Thursdays, 9:30 am – 12:30 pm
Meeting at various locations each week
Thursday mornings are dedicated to much needed trail work! Work will consist of regular trail improvement projects including repairing drains and grade reversals, repairing stone work, narrowing widened trails, and emergency trail repairs.
There’s no better way to be friends than to help us in the park with trail improvements, invasive weed removal, planting, and general clean-ups from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Locations vary by week.
“Friends of Friends”
Join Friends of Cresheim Trail to improve the trails in the Cresheim Creek area. These typically fall on the third Saturday of the month. For more information or to volunteer, contact Friends of Cresheim Trail at firstname.lastname@example.org
Service Day Tips
What to Wear
- Sturdy boots/sneakers.
- Long pants. Who has time for ticks, poison ivy and stinging nettle?
- Clothing that you don’t mind getting dirty!
- Sun protection – a hat & sunscreen.
What to Bring
- Your own reusable water bottle to help reduce waste.
- Refreshments are usually provided at Saturday volunteer days, but volunteers are welcome to bring their own snacks.
Cancellation Details for Inclement Weather
- Typically, we will work in a light rain or snow. (We’re tough like that.)
- Service Days will be cancelled in the event of heavy rain or snow, thunder and lighting, high winds, etc. Visit FOW’s Facebook page or this page for updates. If the service day is cancelled it will be posted by 8 am.
Teenagers between the ages of 14-18 may volunteer on our service days with the signature of their parent or guardian on our sign-in/waiver form. Kids under the age of 14 may volunteer, but must be accompanied by an adult.
Weavers Way Member Hours
Members of Weavers Way Co-Op can fulfill their yearly work obligation with specific FOW Volunteer Service Days! In order to do so, you will need register your hours through Weavers Way prior to attending the volunteer event. For more information, contact Bettina de Caumette at email@example.com