FOW Seeks Project Manager
Friends of the Wissahickon (FOW) is seeking a Project Manager to facilitate and ensure the successful completion of FOW-led improvements within the Wissahickon Valley Park. Current FOW park improvement projects include: completion of the Sustainable Trails Initiative, a multi-year commitment to restoring 50 miles of natural surface trails in the park; erosion gully restoration projects; invasive plant control and native plant restoration; the management of temporary and permanent signage and wayfinding systems. Upcoming project work that will fall under the Project Manager’s direction includes: development of a park-wide habitat management plan in partnership with Philadelphia Parks & Recreation; infrastructure and trail repair and maintenance; developing and installing user amenities at major park entrances.
The FOW Project Manager will:
• Manage field staff – one full time direct report and seasonal field crews
• Manage current projects – Draft RFP/RFQ documents and administer bidding processes, perform regular field visits and oversee work in the field, report on project work to staff and city officials; communicate project updates to FOW staff and to the public.
• Plan Future Projects – Develop detailed project plans & forecast project expenditures, update planning documents with information about completed projects.
• Obtain Permissions and permits – obtain project permissions & permits from local, state, and federal agencies including but not limited to: DCNR, DEP, City of Philadelphia, Army Corps of Engineers
• Manage and update Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and the FOW map– Update and maintain FOW’s GIS database, create maps and info graphics for grant applications and to communicate project specifics.
• Manage contractor relationships
• Oversee Project Logistics – equipment sourcing and rental, ordering and overseeing materials deliveries, hauling and delivery coordination
• Track billing and budgeting – track project expenditures and report on financial status of projects to the Executive Director, ensure contractors are paid, monitor and report on project budgets
• Complete project reporting – to grant agencies (under Development Director’s direction)
• Ensure quality project outcomes – review consultant proposals to make sure they are compliant with local and regional plans and that proposed designs meet the standards and expectations of FOW, state & local agencies, partnering organizations.
• Facilitate community outreach and civic engagement on all project work – involving key stakeholders and volunteers in project planning as appropriate (may include large and small committee meetings, letters, emails, one on one communications)
• Plan and oversee an annual public projects meeting on key FOW project work
• Create a complete record for each work project in both electronic and paper formats
Reports to: Executive Director; reports to the Development Director in grant reporting matters
• Bachelors degree in Natural Resource Management, Urban Planning, Environmental Studies or a related field; Master’s Degree preferred.
• Demonstrable experience in managing projects, balancing diverse opinions, and reaching consensus
• Must be a self starter; ability to function independently and take ownership of projects and share FOW values is essential
• Analytic, anticipatory and strong problem solving skills
• Strong time management, planning and prioritization skills
• Desire & ability to work outdoors in all weathers in a beautiful urban wilderness setting. Comfort in working outdoors in an urban park system is a must
• Ability to participate in and direct work at project worksites
• Own transportation and clear driver’s license, ability to drive the FOW van
• Experience in managing budgets strongly preferred
• Basic computer packages (Word, Excel, power point, etc) required, proficiency in ArcGIS 10 or higher
• Ability to work as a team with other staff members
• Knowledge of PA native plants & ecology
• Willingness to be trained in FOW-owned equipment operation
Above all, this role requires a self-starter with the ability to function independently and work as part of a team.